Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Oh, what a feeling!

Last night I played another tavern poker tournament.

At one point, I raised with A-J.

Flop: A-A-J.

But wait, it gets better!

I made a small bet and got four callers!

But wait, it gets better!

Turn: the final ace. I think I probably have this locked up.

But wait, it gets better!

I made a bigger bet. Three callers!

But wait, it gets better!

Some irrelevant card on the river. I move all in. TWO CALLERS!

Both were shorter stacks than mine, so a double knockout. And I became monster chip leader.

It's all skill, ya know. You have to practice for many years to learn how to flop a full house, and improve it to quads.

7 comments:

Lance Brown said...

I played a lot of tavern poker when I lived in NC. Some of the hands I saw were quite amazing. :-)

Anonymous said...

Did you win the tournament?

ohcowboy12go

Rakewell said...

Almost. 2nd place.

Mr Reed said...

The tavern poker experience is a hoot! Did it pay anything? Locally they pay $100 for first place and $50 for second but the money is usually chapped up way before heads up.

Memphis MOJO said...

In the Main Event last summer, the king of hearts on the river gave me a Royal Flush. I checked and a guy with two pair bet into me for 3000! (This guy.)

Memphis MOJO said...

I'm reading a book you might like (Nina, too): Between You And Me by Mary Norris. It's subtitled: Confessions of a Comma Queen.

Norris was a copy editor for the New Yorker magazine for many years. The book, as you might guess from the title, is about grammar, but she makes it interesting and humorous. I picked it up at my local library.

Rakewell said...

Thanks for the tip. It looks good. I just put myself in line for it at the local library.